A blog that pairs wine with cheese chocolate music.

Hello, my name is Abby.

My photo
Two passions in my life are wine and music, both of which are wonderfully impossible to ever fully understand or categorize. Wine is a new hobby, while music has been a companion of mine since I can remember. Life can be tough, work can be hard, and school can be demanding, but I have found that with a glass of wine and the right song- relaxation is only a splash and a click away.

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Better Late Than Never

     “Accept what life offers you and try to drink from every cup. All wines should be tasted; some should only be sipped, but with others, drink the whole bottle.” 
                                                                                       ― Paulo Coelho, Brida


     A significant amount of time has past since I lasted blogged- and much has happened since. While I have not ceased to incorporate wine into my daily lifestyle, I cannot say the same about taking the time to blog about some of the wonderful wines I have tried. Four wines in particular, that were given as a graduation present this past summer, still linger on my palate whenever I reference them. By far one of my favorite gifts, I received a case of 6 bottles of wine, only two of which are still unopened. I am saving these beauties for extremely special occasions, for example, the graduation of my Ph.D.
     I cannot think of a better way to start back into blogging than to discuss these amazingly wonderful wines. And of course, I will pair them with music.


1. Franciscan Estate, Nappa Valley: Magnificat, Meritage Red Wine (2007)
     Easily one of the BEST wines I have ever had in my entire life, this wine gave a new meaning to the term "red milk". Smooth finish, harmonious to the palate, full-bodied and full of plum and black fruit flavors.  I drank this completely by itself, to soak up every flavor. I finished the bottle, with the help of a friend, in two nights. I would absolutely purchase this wine myself- although somewhat out of my price range.


Price: $30
Song: Miss You, Trentemoller (because, like this song, this wine was smooth, simple, and dreamy).


2. Cruz Alta-Grand Reserve Malbec (2010)
     I typically am not a spicy, deep, Malbec-kind-of-girl. I actually did not mind this one and would definitely recommend it to any Malbec-lover. It has notes of cherry and plum and is full-bodied. A little spice is left on the palate as a finish but it paired wonderfully with the steak I had. I might not drink this  alone, but with a hearty-meaty dish, this is a very nice, reasonably priced Malbec.



Price: $15
Song: Broken, Lauren Hoffman (because, for a Malbec, this was a laid-back wine, much like the vocals of this song).

3. Domaine des Préauds Pouilly-Fuissé (2010)
      This wine was elegant and light, with a nose of  apple, lime, and a hint of hazelnut. Medium-bodied, easy to drink; I tasted a lot of citrus. I drank this mostly alone, but I think it is safe to say a seafood or light chicken dish would be a perfect pairing. A very refreshing and crisp wine-one that would be perfect for summertime (but then again, aren't all white wines?)




Price: +- $20
Song: Yellow Light, Of Monsters of Men (because I love their vocals, beat, and overall sound- a perfect song to complement this simplistic wine).


4. Alfio Moriconi Selection, Sancerre-Chirstian Salmon (2010)
     I enjoyed this wine overall but I will say that  the finish to this was not the best, especially to drink alone. I found that when I paired it with something simple, it had a much better finish. Notes of lemon and pear overwhelmed my nose and taste buds. It was very refreshing, easy to drink, and light. Overall, I enjoyed this and would purchase again. 

     

Price: $20
Song: Lakehouse, Of Monsters and Men (because this is a great wine to listen to while at a lake, or beach, or any form of water for that matter).

No comments:

Post a Comment